Summer Food Service Manager - Head Cook
Echo Hill Outdoor School
June 3, 2013
- Nonprofit outdoor environmental education school on the upper Chesapeake Bay seeks self-motivated, organized, creative, and energetic person as head cook and food service director for summer program.
Programs are primarily semi-wilderness five and three day camping trips that prepare their own food during the trip. Single and multi-day land based programs take place on the school’s main campus with well-equipped dining hall facility.
- Provides family style meals for small residential groups (10 – 25, occasional weekly seatings of 50 – 70 people).
- Plans meals/menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Coordinates with directors and handles all ordering, purchasing, and availability of necessary food (serving local produce as often as possible is a priority).
- Oversees menu planning and food packing for three, four and five day camping trips.
- Prepares meals, serves, properly stores, and thoroughly cleans up after mealtime.
- Supervises and orients various program staff as they rotate into kitchen assistant role.
- Maintains safe food handling standards during preparation and storage.
- Maintains cleanliness of kitchen areas (counters, floors, walk-in, freezer, dry storage, floors, trash and recycling).
- Supervises others in this process.
- Strong desire to be part of a staff community.
- Candidate must have prior food service experience (healthy cooking skills imperative) for residential groups.
- Experience with outdoor education and /or food management is beneficial. Logistical and organizational skills are vital.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- Standard First Aid and Professional Rescuer CPR certifications are requested.
- Criminal Background check required upon employment.
- Candidate must be self-directed, enthusiastic, an effective time manager, able to communicate and work cooperatively with a staff of 25.
- Position is Primarily Monday through Friday, with some weekend days (hours vary weekly).
Weekly pay varies, $400-$600 based on qualifications, experience and program demands. Communal housing with program staff is an option (room and board). Staff medical reimbursement plan available.
See details in qualifications section
Personal Interview Required.
Flexible start and end dates: June 3 – 14 through August 23 – 30, 2013.
Ten – twelve week full time position.
Betsy Z. McCown, Associate Director
Echo Hill Outdoor School
13655 Bloomingneck Road
Worton MD 21678