One Acre Fund
December 31, 2013
Various Locations, Kenya
- Industry: Nonprofit/International Development
- Function: Operations Innovation
- Employer: One Acre Fund
- Job Title: Program Associate
- Job Location: Rural Rwanda or Burundi (French required), or Rural Kenya (English required)
In their first year, our program associates lead three - five internal consulting projects, such as:
- Impact innovation: A program associate recently designed a new harvest storage product and farmer training, and tried it with a few hundred farmers. The trial demonstrated an increase in harvest profits by more than 10%. Next year, we expect to sell this product to over 40,000 farmers.
- Growth innovation: A staffer recently designed a new viral marketing initiative. She identified our best and most enthusiastic farmers, and turned them into volunteer "replication agents" who are empowered to recruit new groups of farmers. Our staff person designed the trial protocols, trained 10 field staff to test the idea, and observed the trial in-field, resulting in 25% higher client enrollment. We are now rolling this out across more than 200 field sites.
- Operations rotation: In addition to internal consulting projects, program associates also spend time paired with a regular "operating unit," which has 50+ staff. This is an opportunity to observe how regular operations work, while also building leadership skills by mentoring a larger number of staff.
In their second year, our strongest performers take leadership over a relatively independent pilot within the One Acre Fund network, while earning a significant and sustainable salary increase. Examples include:
- Burundi: One Acre Fund plans to launch one new country per year, for the next five years. A program manager moved to Burundi early in 2011 to direct field operations for an initial 400-farmer pilot. Six months later, that pilot is now being quadrupled in size and is our newest country launch.
Farmers United: One of our program managers piloted an innovative trial in a new area of Kenya. This trial helps farmers to save up for farm inputs over time, in addition to taking loans, and has high potential to scale rapidly. Over two years, he has created a field organization of 80 staff from scratch. His organization, called "Farmers United," cooperates closely with our existing field units, but also operates with a high degree of independence within the One Acre Fund umbrella.
Career Growth and Development:
- One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through weekly mentorship and through regular career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions and countries. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
- exceptional professional with two - five or more years of work experience
- demonstrated long-term passion for international development
- serve in a career-track position that combines both field and management experience
- strong work experiences
- leadership experience at work, or outside of work
- top-performing undergraduate background (include GPA and test scores on your resume)
- humility and personal stability. We have a fantastic and likeable team
- passionate professional
- strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service
- willingness to commit to living in rural areas of East Africa for at least two years - this is a long-term, career-track role
- at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement
- English required in Kenya, and French required in Rwanda and Burundi (French-speakers are particularly encouraged to apply)
ability to cook / laugh – desirable
For more information and to apply, email cover letter and resume to email@example.com (Subject line: "Program Associate Search" + name of the site that referred you).
Preferred Start Date: Flexible
Compensation: Starts very modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Benefits: Health cover, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Career development: Quarterly management consulting-style career reviews and constant feedback. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development.
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes