Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow
Brooklyn, New York
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1983 that is known for its highly effective integrated GED and business skills training and employment program for out of school youth ages 17-21. OBT also offers Medical Administrative Assistant training and internship programs to youth and provides computer training, office skills training, English as a Second Language, literacy and GED classes to adults. OBT currently operates out of five locations. Four in Brooklyn -- one in Sunset Park, two in Bushwick/Williamsburg, one in Bed Stuy and the fifth in Jamaica, Queens.
We are currently seeking a Communications Associate.
- Drafts and distributes press releases, statements, pitches and speaking points.
- Maintains press/media database.
- Maintains and enhances social media presence.
- Fields inquiries from members of the press.
- Gathers and seeks out organization news, including participant success stories and alumni updates.
- Updates and provides content for website as required.
- Drafts marketing and collateral content.
- Monitors press coverage
- Researches and drafts content for the organization's various communications vehicles -- print, web based, e-communications, videos, newsletter and other; some evening and weekend work required.
- Must have two years related experience.
- B.A./B.S. required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with local, regional, national media -- print, web, broadcast; experience responding to press inquiries and coordinating interviews.
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and ability to prioritize among multiple responsibilities.
- Copy-editing and proofing skills.
- Great interpersonal and networking skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work as a team member.
- Solid computer skills, knowledge of social media, experience publishing web content, database management, and basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with using photography and video in storytelling.
For more information and to apply, email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Leah Hebert at email@example.com.