Experienced Public Health Nurse
Alaska Division of Public Health
September 26, 2014
- Located on the edge of the Bering Sea, Nome is a vital hub for Northwest Alaska. Nome has 210 miles of state maintained roads accessible seasonally and a vast country side with plentiful berries and wild flowers. Learn more on our job announcement!
Government Agency/Public Sector
The primary purpose of this PHN III position is to provide expert level individual, population and systems based public health nursing services. These services include disease prevention, and health promotion and protection for all members of the population, particularly vulnerable groups, utilizing nursing and public health best practices.
We are seeking the following demonstrated knowledge, skills, abilities and experience (KSAEs):
- Knowledge of and ability to incorporate public health and nursing science in the delivery of care to individuals, families, and groups.
- Skilled in providing care coordination, referral and follow-up to individuals and families who are members of a vulnerable population and/or high-risk groups, while evaluating outcomes, effectiveness of plan, and making changes as necessary.
- Knowledge of and ability to use public health surveillance/disease investigation methods in community outreach, screening, and case finding of communicable and infectious diseases that threaten the health of the community.
- Ability to assess the health status of communities and their related determinants of health and illness and skilled at promoting public health interventions at the community level.
- Ability to adapt public health nursing care to individuals, families, and groups based on cultural needs and differences.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, orally, and electronically and communications are characterized by critical thinking and complex decision making.
- Ability to assess the health literacy of the individuals, families, and groups served.
- Strong organizational skills, such as the ability to prioritize and organize workload, time, materials, and resources.
- Ability to use computer for email, word processing, internet searches, producing, and carrying out web-based, long-distance learning.
- Ability to be flexible and able to quickly adapt to change.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Knows when to seek consultation and support, and does so as needed.
- A commitment to excellence in public health nursing practice.
- B.A./B.S. in Nursing from an accredited college or university OR Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing from an accredited college or university.
- A license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Alaska, or eligible to receive a license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Alaska.
- Two years' professional public health nursing experience in a public health organization (tribal, county, city, or state), one year of which was a Public Health Nurse II or Nurse Consultant I for the State of Alaska, or equivalent elsewhere.
- A Master’s degree in Nursing or Public Health from an accredited college or university, in addition to the basic educational requirement (Bachelor’s degree in Nursing OR Direct-Entry Master of Science in Nursing), may be substituted for a maximum of one year of public health nursing experience.
Candidates not currently licensed in Alaska may apply. A candidate applying under this option may receive a conditional job offer and may begin work after obtaining the required license.
Experience in international health, occupational health nursing, or school health nursing may be substituted for a maximum of six months of required public health nursing experience. Credit will be pro-rated on the basis of three months of experience to one month of public health nursing experience. This experience must include identification and assessment of physical and/or emotional problems, referral of any problems requiring further care, and the follow-up of the care provided and assessment to determine the health status and priority needs of a population.
For more information and to apply, visit http://workplace.alaska.gov and apply for Job #:05318 Job Title: Public Health Nurse III (PCN 06-1917) .