U.S. Social Security Administration
August 29, 2014
Various Locations, California
Three hiring Districts of San Diego, Chula Vista, and El Cajon.
- San Diego: 1333 Front Street, San Diego, CA 92101
- Chula Vista: 626 L Street, Chula Vista, CA 91911
- El Cajon: 846 Arnele Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020
Please be aware that SSA does not pay for or reimburse any related travel/relocation expenses.
The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) announces an open call for resumes from RPCVs and transitioning Peace Corps staff with noncompetitive eligibility (NCE). This is not a guarantee of employment.
SSA is seeking job applicants with exceptional customer service skills for a Service Representative (SR) position in the San Diego area. The SR position is an entry level position for SSA’s field offices.
- Takes responsibility for providing direct service to the public.
- Determines the nature of a visit/call and analyze relevant facts to resolve problems.
- Screens for benefit eligibility.
- Interprets correspondence and explains benefit amounts.
- Interviews the public to process Social Security Numbers and Representative payee applications and accountings.
- Takes responsibility for timely input of reports of change for people already receiving a Social Security or SSI benefit.
- Understands and is able to explain the technical provisions of the Retirement, Survivor, Medicare, Disability, and Supplemental Security Income benefits.
Visit our public contact career website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/careers/pubcont.html - a0=1 for more information about this position.
Selections are normally made at the GS-5, GS-6, or GS-7 grade level. The full performance level of a Service Representative position is GS-8.
- Current noncompetitive eligibility.
- One year's specialized experience that is directly related to the position to be filled. This experience should equip the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples of specialized experience include applying and interpreting laws, rules, regulations and written guidelines; communicating orally in order to provide information, assistance, or instructions to members of the general public; performing administrative and clerical processes using a computer to reconcile discrepancies; and writing correspondence in response to inquiries.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION:
Education may be substituted for experience and will be made in accordance with the OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions. Selectees who use education to qualify will be asked to provide official transcripts upon selection.
- For GS-5: Successful completion of a full four-year course of study in any field leading to a bachelor’s degree. One year of study is defined as 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours.
- For GS-6: Successful completion of at least one half an academic year of graduate education in a field that is directly related to the position. Examples of a field directly related: a major in Family Studies, Social Work, Business Administration or Public Administration
- For GS-7: Successful completion of at least one academic year of graduate education in a field that is directly related to the position. Examples of a field directly related: a major in Family Studies, Social Work or Public Administration.
Spanish bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
$34,407 - $55,407
For more information and to apply, email your resume, short cover letter, and documentation of Peace Corps service/certification of noncompetitive eligibility to Gabe Garcia at CA.FO.Chula.Vista@ssa.gov with the subject line: “Peace Corps Employment Consideration.”