Jump to Content or Main Navigation

Scenic images from the field

At a Glance

Below is an overview of information about the Peace Corps' health benefits program. In addition, Peace Corps' Office of Medical Services provides assistance with reinstatement of Volunteers through screening.


Returned Volunteers may receive post-service health benefits from AfterCorps. These benefits cover non-service-related medical problems, which include:

  • Most pre-existing conditions not covered by FECA
  • Conditions that arose during service that are not covered by FECA, e.g. while in the U.S. on vacation, home leave, emergency leave, or medevac.
  • Health problems that arose after Volunteer service.

Peace Corps pays one month's premium for all Volunteers. After one free month of AfterCorps, Volunteers will have the option to buy up to two additional months of AfterCorps coverage at their own expense, if they choose to do so.

Contact AfterCorps Customer Service for:

  • Emergency medical assistance
  • Referrals to Multiplan hospitals, physicians, and other health services
  • Insurance coverage extensions

To extend or confirm coverage, call 800.544.1802 or 317.582.2609. For preauthorization of emergency and non-emergency medical treatment, or for the status of your medical claim, call 800.690.6295 or 0.317.818.2809 (collect calls accepted). For a U.S. referral to a network provider call 800.544.1802.

Medical and Dental Evaluations

Form PC-127C is used to authorize payment for evaluation of medical and dental health conditions related to your overseas service.

Evaluations must be issued and used within six months after service, and can be obtained by contacting a Peace Corps medical officer or the Office of Medical Services. Call 855.855.1961, ext. 1540.


As a returned Volunteer, you may be eligible for certain benefits under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA) if the illness or injury is related to your activities as a Volunteer, or is incurred during overseas service.

Treatment is covered for most medical and dental conditions related to Volunteer service and conditions incurred or contracted while abroad during service.

FECA requires that you apply for FECA benefits either (1) within three years after your injury occurred; or (2) within three years of the onset of your occupational illness/condition (something not based on a traumatic single event) or of the date on which you became aware that the occupational illness/condition resulted from your Peace Corps Volunteer service. However, if the injury or illness has been adequately documented in your Peace Corps health record, OWCP may still consider your claim even if it is filed later. See 5 U.S.C. 8122 and implementing regulations.

Medical Records

To request a copy of your medical records, you will need to download the Authorization for Release of Medical Information Form (PDF). Under HIPAA, this form authorizes the release of confidential medical information. Your health record is protected by state and federal law. By completing and signing the form, you give Peace Corps the permission to disclose your health information to the designee indicated on the consent form.

If you have questions or require assistance with your form, please contact:

Peace Corps
Medical Records Department
1111 20th St. NW
Washington, DC 20526
Phone: 202-692-1500
Fax: 202-692-1549


Last updated Jan 22 2014

RPCV Career Link

(formerly Hotline)

An interactive board of employment and educational opportunities for returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
RPCV Career Link


Peace Corps Digital Library