Learning and Training Materials
Since 1961, Peace Corps Volunteers have worked with diverse cultures in 136 countries. Volunteers are trained for living in different cultures and in the jobs they will do. This collection of materials that are useful for training Volunteers and that Volunteers use in their communities with their host national counterparts are also useful for professionals and communities in the U.S. The resources here are from either Information Collection and Exchange (ICE), a unit where training and service-related materials are produced, or World Wise Schools (WWS), a division of the Peace Corps that brings the experience of Volunteers to American classrooms.
Some of these resources may be useful to you if you:
- Work in communities with diverse cultures.
- Teach in classrooms with gender, religious, ethnic, national, or other diversity among students.
- Teach English as a Second Language to children or adults.
- Teach world cultures, world citizenship, or any course that helps individuals understand themselves and their own culture.
- Work with and manage volunteer programs.
- Plan for and work with programs on global issues such as child health, HIV/AIDs, and disaster prevention and mitigation.
- Work with any group of people who want to better themselves through projects they help design and carry out.
- Are interested in service learning and how to carry out service learning projects.
These resources are divided into the following categories. You can also find materials of interest by reading through the index of publications.
- Community Development
- These self-study materials address how community economic development differs from traditional concepts of economic development, with a focus on helping individuals, families and communities take control of their own economic futures.
- Resources for understanding yourself as a cultural being, and for living and working in a multicultural environment with others who have different views and values.
- Manuals for Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL); working in large multi-level classrooms, and learning a foreign language.
- Teaching and Learning
- Publications on classroom management, empowering girls, bringing the world into the classroom, nonformal education, life skills, and integrating environmental studies, community issues, and life skills into learning activities.
- Volunteer Resources and Support
- Books on defining volunteer roles, managing effective projects, service learning, and working with counterparts.
- Index of Publications
- This section contains a list and description of all publications in alphabetical order.
Last updated Jul 05 2012