University of Alaska - Fairbanks — Dept. of Alaska Native Studies & Rural Development
- Program Type:
- Coverdell Fellows
- Dept. of Alaska Native Studies & Rural Development
- Degrees Awarded:
- Master of Arts (MA)
- Admissions Deadlines:
June 1 (fall); October 15 (spring)
- Program Start:
- Fall or Spring
- Program Founded:
- January, 2011
Returned Peace Corps Volunteers admitted to a degree program are eligible for one-year Fellowship (8 months). Fellowship recipient receives a stipend of $13,500.00 plus payment of tuition for up to 10 credits each semester and payment of Graduate Student Health Insurance. Total package is worth up to $21,760 for AK residents, and $28,820 for non-residents. The Fellowship includes a service-learning requirement.
UAF's MA degree in Rural Development is designed to educate a new generation of leaders for rural Alaska, with a particular emphasis on management of programs and projects in a dynamic, cross-cultural environment.
The MA program in Rural Development has the following major objectives:
- Educate leaders with a broad understanding of interrelationships between rural communities and the dynamic global economy
- Offer a quality program of advanced study for place-committed students in rural Alaska, combining personal networking with cutting-edge distance course delivery.
- Build strong ties to employers and leaders in rural Alaska to support program relevance and student success
- Create an innovative model for circumpolar graduate study with a particular emphasis on international indigenous leadership development.
Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the appropriate academic unit.
For inquiries about Paul D. Coverdell Fellows Program, call 855.855.1961 x1440.
P.O. Box 756500
Fairbanks, Alaska 99775
- (907) 474-5808
- (907) 474-5824
If you have questions, please contact:
Dr. Ralph Gabrielli
Academic Program Head
Find Local Events
Peace Corps recruiters appear at information sessions, campus and community events, and career fairs. Pick a state and find a Peace Corps event near you.